More than 50% of women develop a urinary tract infection (UTI) in their lifetime. But women are not the only ones at risk to this type of infection because it can also affect males and younger people.
UTI is treated with antibiotic. But since antibiotics have been conventionally used as a remedy to bacterial infections, most bacteria have already morphed and became antibiotic-resistant. This prompted the experts of health care to look for other ways to prevent and treat UTI.
Among the tested remedies of UTI which Your Health Pharmacy, a pharmacy promoting Compounding Services in Florida, has observed as effective include:
- Drinking Plenty of Fluids. The idea of how fluids eliminate bacteria in the body is simple- the more liquids we drink, the more bacteria are flushed from our system. Nonetheless, we have to choose fluids which would not bring bacteria to our body and physicians suggest that we choose drinking water than any other liquids.
- Eating more Vitamin C. Vitamin C makes our urine acidic and because of this acidity, the growth and colonization of the bacteria which causes our infection is inhibited. We can load up on Vitamin C by eating cranberries and citrus fruits.
- Changing to Healthier Habits. Another factor which increases our risk to UTI is our lifestyle. By continuing our unhealthy habits, we are more likely to get infected by bacteria and contract UTI. So it would be beneficial to quit smoking, to wear loose cotton clothing and to use only fragrance-free personal hygiene products.
- Loading up with garlic. Raw garlic is widely known for its antimicrobial capacity. This is possible because of the allicin in the garlic which exhibits antibacterial activities against bacteria like the multi-drug-resistant strains of E. coli.
- D-mannose. This special kind of sugar which is related to glucose, is also known as an effective home remedy for UTI. Studies have shown that D-mannose helps prevent bacteria from sticking to the walls of our urinary tract.
- Consuming Probiotics. Physicians recommend probiotics to patients suffering from UTI, especially those who have recurring cases. Through the consumption of probiotics, our bodies maintain a healthy stock of benign bacterial flora which defends the body from overgrowth of microorganisms which causes illness.
- Cutting off Bladder Irritants in our Diet. Caffeine, alcohol, spicy food, nicotine, and carbonated drinks can irritate our bladder. When our bladders get irritated, we increase our risk of having UTI. So instead of having these irritants, we have to switch to eating high-fiber carbohydrates like oatmeal and lentil soup instead.
Even though UTI is not oftentimes considered as a highly dangerous illness, it could lead to several complications in our bodies. In fact, some physicians would prescribe some patients to get Safe Compounding Medication Services in Pompano Beach Florida to get specialized drug to kill the bacteria in their body and cure this condition. Hence, we should never take UTI for granted.